No pictures (yet). Sorry. I'd fully planned to have finished gauntlet pictures to show you. And, yes, they are done. Well, 99 1/2 % done. I just have to tuck in all the ends and then snap the photos. So, stay tuned.
They should, would, could have been done earlier, had I not messed up. Yep. That's right. I messed up. I think half of my blogging is dedicated to telling stories about my messing up this or that in my current project. But, this morning, as I was dealing with my "mess up," I was thinking how ironic it is that on some level you can tell a knitter's expertise and experience by how s/he deals with messing up.
The irony, of course, is that a non-knitter might think that a really good knitter simply would not mess up so much! Instead, it seems we all mess up, some maybe more than others, and not because we're bad or new knitters. Sometimes things go awry either because the knitting didn't have our full attention. Or we misread something. Or we just plain miscounted. For whatever reason, knowing how - and not being afraid - to fix the mistake seems to me to be a really telling thing about a knitter.
I think, for example, of the photo of the Yarn Harlot last week trying to rectify a Latvian mitten mistake. Her angst is clear. But did she just ignore the error? Of course not. She tackled the rogue Fair Isle - with a crochet hook and a laddering down strategy that most new knitters wouldn't even begin to attempt.
Being comfortable coping with problems and road blocks in our knitting is something we acquire along the way.
My problem this morning wasn't nearly as complicated as some. Yesterday, in a pre-birthday party lull, Spencer was sleeping in my lap, and I started whizzing around the palm of the second gauntlet. I was whizzing away, and I realized I was at the ribbing. I had about 30 minutes before we'd have to be up and shuffling into coats to go wish the soon-to-be-three friend happy birthday. So, I was on a mission. If I could finish the palm, all I'd have left were two thumbs, and the gauntlets would be finished.
I started baby cabling the ribbing rows. There are 4 rows in the baby cable variation I'm using, and I didn't want to stir Spencer (since that might mean I couldn't finish), so I wasn't making my normal hash marks to signal row completion. Instead, I was just chanting in my head, row 1, row 1, row 1, and so on, lest I forget where I was since these days I seem to lose track too easily.
At the beginning of each gauntlet, there are 8 rows of ribbing. I got busy doing 8 rows to finish up the gauntlet. I got through the first 4. Time still good. Spencer still asleep. So I started on the next 4. I didn't bother to check my pattern. That there are 8 rows at the beginning of the gauntlet is ingrained in my memory.
I finished all 8 rows. Cast off. Started getting ready for the party.
While getting ready, however, I was puzzled by the fact that I was short on yarn. The beauty of my modified gauntlet pattern is that it can be made with 1 skein of Koigu. The small wad of yarn left after casting off gauntlet #2 didn't seem big enough to handle both thumbs. I wasn't seriously worried. I have a second skein of this colorway. But I was confused since I made Megan's with no trouble using one skein.
I had hoped to finish the gauntlets post-party, but I crashed early along with the boys. So, during a morning nap, I did the first thumb. It was when I was looking at the thumb directions that I realized I'd goofed. There should have been just 4 rows of ribbing to end things on the palm - not 8. I looked over at gauntlet #1 and could see that, yes, the palm ribbing was shorter on it.
So, I had to rip down the couple of rows, pick things back up, and cast off again. And I had to do it before I could finish thumb #2 because I ran out of yarn with 4 rows to go. Sigh.
As soon as the ends are tucked, a photo will be on its way.