Too Big or Too Small
I canít believe itís June 1 today. Time to flip the calendar over and start marking off school days in one color, swimming days in another, music days in another. Already there are notes on many days for doctorís appointments, hair cuts, and then the week when my mom will be here and weíre heading to LEGOLand. (Yeah!) Iíve never been much of a calendar person, but suddenly this year the tides of time have swung a different direction, and Iím caught up in a calendar tailspin, and we lead relatively calm and decidedly not overscheduled lives.
I feel like Iíve been knitting in spits and spurts, but I have nothing to show for it. First Iíd started a pair of socks from Knitting on the Road in purple Lornaís Laces. They were looking really pretty but seemed way too small. So I frogged those. I was going to start a pair from Lucy Neatbyís Cool Socks book the other day in the car in between dropping Matthew off at school and taking Spencer to music. Having made Meganís New Yearís socks from Lornaís Laces, I knew my gauge with the yarn, but I didnít know my ankle measurement, so I couldnít even figure out what I needed to cast on. I happened to have Knitting on the Road with me in the bag that day, too, and the Conwy socks call for Lornaís, so with a mental shrug, I figured what the hay. The book is full of great socks, and those are cool and pretty, too, with their cabled legs.
I just wanted a pair cast on that I could work on in off moments, something easy to pick up when working on my Must Have wasnít possible. I started them and worked on the ribbing in the car. I then picked them up late the other night only to find that the stitch pattern is really complicated. Not in terms of understanding it, but in terms of physically doing it. Itís not easy knitting. I was having a heck of a time doing what was necessary, and you have to do the tough stitches every other row and like every two stitches all the way around.
Since that clearly wasnít providing the restful knit I was hoping, I grabbed a skein of Regia Jubilee that Iíd started and frogged last fall and cast on the other night figuring Iíd do something basic since thatís a heavily self-patterning yarn. But, I always overthink and rebel against Ďbasic,í so instead of a simple 2 x 2 or even 2 x 3 rib, I started doing seed panels separated by close rib panels. I worked on it again last night and just felt like I wasnít liking how it looked. So, I ripped that out last night, too, before falling asleep.
So, no socks in the works yet, although I havenít actually frogged the Conwy ones. I want to give that pattern a shot in daylight to see if itís really as tough (for me) as it seemed the other night.
My other failed attempts have been for a Bottomís Up Bucket Hat. First, I was going to make Spencer one to give the pattern a try. I cast it on and frogged it after maybe 10 rows because it just looked huge. I then cast on (using a different yarn) for myself using an Addi 6. Again, it looked huge. But, itís the brim. It will logically be bigger than the hat and draw in when you get past the brim. It drew in but not enough. When I was switching over to the 7ís, after doing all the decreases and dropping to one yarn, there was a moment when I had parts of it on each circular and could see how bit it was.
Think toilet seat cover. Think steering wheel cover. Think shoulder shrug.
All of those things would be closer to the reality than a hat.
I have photos of the hat's demise, but they are too depressing to even show. After pulling it off the needles, I laid it on the floor by a measuring tape. Please don't choke on your laughter when I say it measured out at 58 inches.
And, yes, Megan and I both modeled it as a shrug or the start of a poncho or something similar.
What on earth went wrong? I donít know. (Okay, I didn't swatch.) The only thing I can figure is that with the cotton, my knitting was just too loose on the metal circular. It didn't feel overly loose. The finished product doesn't look really loose. But, I do tend to use bamboo more these days, except for socks, for which I do use Addis always.
I knew Iíd read many complaints from bloggers about working with the doubled cotton for the brim. My mom, too, had said sheíd had trouble with the double stranded section hurting her hands. I didnít really have that trouble. Guess that should have been my first warning that something was wrong.
I should just give up on this hat and call it a wrap. But itís like a record stuck in my head now. I think I have to make it. Unfortunately, I donít have the right needles in bamboo. I need a 16Ē 6 and 7. Or, I might even need to drop to a 16Ē 5 and do the body of the hat in a 6. (If youíre thinking I should swatch, youíre right.)
With all the needles I have (and I feel like I have a TON of circular needles), I couldn't put my hands on these sizes/lengths over the weekend. So, I need to run to a yarn store. I am strange, I guess. I hate to go in just to buy needles. I feel sort of like an interloper. But, I also want Bryspun needles in sizes 2 and 7 for projects I have planned, so a needle run seems inevitable. [Update: Needles ordered!]
I did pick up my Must Have a few times and am working steadily up the back. I havenít given it the attention itís needed though, for sure, although Iím still hoping for completion by June 23 since Iím hoping to start two new projects the week of Momís visit.