The blocking didn't go so well, and that may be a function of the fiber content of the Andean Silk (alpaca/silk/wool). I did a steam block (as shown at in the ChicKnits notes), but as soon as the piece dried post-steaming, it shrunk back down again. Strange. It just didn't hold the blocking at all.
(By the way, if you're starting a Ribby, read those notes. If I make another, I need to check back with them about the last few rows on the fronts. I know mine were a bit wonky, and I think the problem is explained there. But I finished the piece before seeing those!)
I think I blogged in my head about a hundred times about how much I dislike the process of "finishing" projects. I'm not bad at it, it's just not a task I love. M. had told me she'd put it together for me, but I got tired of waiting! So, I buckled down and did my seaming.
I did have one major moment of panic after sewing in the first sleeve when I tried it on and saw little ends sticking out. I was convinced I'd sewn the sleeve on (and together) inside out even though I knew I'd carefully checked before seaming it. In the process of showing M. the problem (and freaking out), I thought it through and realized it couldn't possibly be inside out. I tuck my ends a very specific way, through purl columns in this case, so that the ends were poking out through knit columns made clear that the sleeve wasn't inside out. But, the ends I'd so carefully tucked in were poking through on the right side. That's odd, and a pain, but at least I didn't have to re-seam!
I've been a bit stumped as to what collar treatment to do, and I need to order a zipper. After reading Sharlene's experience with Zippersource, I'm going to try Zipperstop (assuming that the local Joanne's doesn't have one that will work if I manage to run by there this weekend). The issue is that my front measures 19 1/2". I haven't inserted a zipper before, so I'm not 100% clear if I'm better going with a 20" zipper and slightly stretching my front or going with the 18" zipper and having it not completely reach the ends. Thoughts? (I don't think I want to cut off/alter a sized zipper this go-around.)
As for the collar, I've finally decided to do the roll-neck. M. kept pushing for the regular collar, but somehow it just doesn't seem like what I want on this one. I like the casual look of the roll, though I'm going to do it in the color of the body rather than the contrasting color of the sleeves. It's shown in the contrast on the sample/pattern, but all along I was thinking of doing it the other way. Then, I saw Nathania's Ribby while blog surfing yesterday. I love her pink/grey combination, by the way. But I also love how it looks with the pink roll collar. So, lettuce (light) roll it will be.
I tried to pick up the stitches last night in the bedroom but ended up with not enough so put it down to try again today. I'm feeling very lucky that when the little one woke up coughing early this a.m. and sat up and gagged (mostly snot) all over me and the bed that it didn't fly just over the bed to where I'd laid it in the floor!
Hopefully, pics (zipperless) tomorrow.
In the meantime, I figured my Rayon Chenille Clapotis should make its on-the-needles debut. My knitting is fairly sporadic these days. I pick up whatever happens to be closest to me when I get some time. (This may mean that I'll finish several things in close proximity to each other. We'll see.) I've picked the Clapotis up a number of times recently. The colors are just so pretty (and a bit unusual for me with the vibrant streak of turquoise that runs throughout) that I hate to have it sit unfinished and not get worn this season.
I sent my Secret Pal (Vicki, who had me) some hand-dyed chenille, and we were talking about her possibly doing a thinner Clapotis out of it. I love the idea of Clapotis as something more traditionally scarflike. (If you recall, my first turned out more blanketlike!)