Many of you probably "know" Rachel. If you follow her blog or her twitter or her Facebook stream, she's got her finger on the pulse of a range of cool and edgy craft--which is important in her role with Craftzine.com. As a long-ago listener of the Creative Mom Podcast, Rachel emailed me about her "High Texture Hand Embroidery of the Moon" which is up for voting in an Etsy contest right now.
Rachel has made it to round 2 in the 2010 Etsy/Nasa Space Craft Contest, which means the piece is up for public voting! The winning piece might wind up on board one of the final space shuttle flights.
If you follow Rachel, you know she's got a bit of a thing for space and astronomy! This piece of art combines her passions. As she told me, there's "soul" in every stitch. It's a wonderful piece, and I hope you take a look--and vote!
Rachel's put together a number of resources related to this piece:
- View contest submissions and vote. (You'll need a free Etsy account.)
- Etsy/NASA contest information.
- See Rachel at 12 years old at Space Camp. (1 minute video)
- Space and Embroidery Resources on Rachel's blog.
- Blog post about the Moon embroidery.
- Rachel's "Get to Know the Space Geek Side of Me" blog post.
- Flickr gallery.