I finished the two prototype Love Bug Vests forever ago and never have gotten a chance to show them off. Today, I their image names jumped out at me in the graphics directory. So, beep, beep. Today's the day.
As you can see from the photos, the vest is designed to appeal to a little one's love of cars - and love of pockets for small treasures.
Generally, I'm not an intarsia person, but these vests do feature a "spot" of intarsia on the front. Part of my goal was simplicity of design (and knitting). As a result, the vests are worked in the round up to the armholes. Then, the front and back are worked separately, and the intarsia car is worked on the front. It's a small chart and quick to work, so the intarsia isn't that big of a deal.
The optional pockets add a touch of whimsy to the design with their bright stripes and are attached as simple patch pockets after the vest is complete.
The vests are worked up in bulky weight cotton Pronto, which comes in a number of colors. But, other similarly gagued yarns would work as well. The nice thing about Pronto, other than its easy wear-and-care and soft hand is that it works up so quickly. These vests are seriously quick to make, making them easy, fun, and rewarding to knit.
Matthew has a history of not wearing things we knit for him - other than hats, which he loves. In part, it is because he hates things being pulled over his head, and, while we made a number of memorable and adorable cardigans for him as a baby, we've made not so many since as he's gotten older.
Nevertheless, this vest was a hit from the beginning. He was excited about it and interested in it even when I was first sketching out various possibilities for the stripes, car placement, pockets, etc. And, the whole time I was making the vest, he was ready to wear it.
When it was finally done, he was right there waiting to put it on. And, more than once, he's pulled it out of the closet and asked to wear it.
That, alone, is a hallmark of success for the design!