2007-AUG-CMP60-tooth

~ opening thoughts on validating kid art
~ they try and trick me with magnadoodle art
~ some thoughts on feeling “ish” (after the book: Ish)
~ a very loose tooth, a tooth fairy book (written in letters), and BurbMama’s tooth fairy pillow
~ Owly: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer, a charming book about an unusual friendship (graphic novel for all ages)
~ Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow by Joyce Sidman and Beth Krommes, a wonderful book that combines scratch art, poetry, and nature
~ work in the kid journal
~ the Framer at Big Huge Labs (for turning your art/photos into stamps you can use in your journals/collage)
~ your 100 things list
~ the upcoming worldwide sketch crawl on Aug 25 – and how YOU can be involved with the CMP on that day
~ Jana Bouc’s blog entry on the last San Francisco sketch crawl
~ TrumpetVine entry on San Francisco sketch crawl
~ a thematic creative prompt: “a collection”
~ and more… Plus, great podsafe music with a “journey” theme. (Length: 42 min )

Featured Podsafe Music:
Intro Clip: Jim Fidler ~ All I Really Wanted [PMN]
Katy Pfaffl ~ Butterfly [PMN]
Joshua Kadison ~ Fragile Days [PMN]

Episode 60: Loose

10 thoughts on “Episode 60: Loose

• August 15, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Oh, we love Owly at our house! We were introduced to Owly a couple of years ago when it was one of the freebies on “Free Comic Book” day and have loved him every since.

• August 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I’m in for the crawl, too. Love the pic for the episode. I saw it after I listened, and that’s exactly what “the Tooth” looked like in my head.

• August 19, 2007 at 10:53 AM

I’m in, too! I haven’t sketched for years, but I think that’s a good point to start again.

• August 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I love the idea of the sketch crawl. You know me, not much of a sketch artist, but it’s worth a shot. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try … :)

• August 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Hi Amy, Thanks for another great podcast.
    Someone told me about Owly being a graphic novel that is appropriate for younger kids, I am glad you reviewed it.
    Butterly Eyes sounded great. When I clicked to Amazon I realized that I had previously borrowed another book by that author “Song of the Water Boatman” from our library. It was a fantastic book of nature poems about the pond and had great artwork as well. These are examples of books that if I purchase them, I never want to get rid of them, I want them as keepers. I am a packrat-bookworm what can I say?
    I had never heard of the sketch crawl so thank you for that. I am going to take my sketch book with me on Aug 25th and do what I can do whereever I am. I see there are no sketch crawls near me unless I do a big trip into NYC, forget about that.
    The tooth story was funny. Once my son lost the tooth in between putting it into his little tooth fairy pillow and on his way to the bed. We had to write a letter to the tooth fairy to explain the situation and ask her to make an exception. It was granted by the accommodating tooth fairy, thank goodness!
    We have cool little silk pillows for the tooth fairy. I purchased them through a Waldorf-y supply company. They are so soft and they each have different fairy illustrations on them. I was able to find them with boy fairies for my boys and they are so lovely, with a little pocket to put the tooth into.
    Can’t wait to hear the next podcast.
    BTW I updated both of my blogs to put the CMP logo and a link. I am finding more and more homeschool moms and moms who have a secret artist side which is trying to escape and become active…

• August 23, 2007 at 7:25 AM

hello, amy!
    been listening for a few months now. this was the best show yet! i wasn’t such a fan of the trend toward shorter shows, but if they’re as packed with goodness as this last was, then i’ll be just fine. i think i’m going to listen again.
    as for the crawl…i’m with Poppins. i’m in-ish. we’ll see.
    all the best!

• August 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM

I am working that day, but I am going to try and carve some time for sketching!