Over the last week or so, I’ve been thinking about my recent drawings… about the 61 days of this summer’s ICAD challenge, and about the sub-themes and batches of cards I’ve done this summer. For me, ICAD is a daily challenge… it isn’t specifically “about” ICAD… it is about the challenge to do a daily and to do it with a community. I also love that there are prompts, if you want them, and at least a few constructs in place that keep everyone doing something on a similar plane… or on a similar substrate (as Tammy might say).
As I thought about the nearly 61 cards (it’s not quite over) that I’ve done this summer, I know there have been a few sub-themes… stuffed bears was my initial focus (as you may recall from Episode 185). But gradually, I shifted into exploring another favorite… chairs. And with chairs… I decided to couple windows. A few cards contain self-portraits, and a few involve people. And almost all of them offered a challenge for dealing with perspective.
In terms of approach… I am honest about my love of black and white and of ink. But for ICAD, I often have used fabric bits and cancelled stamps (both of which add color). I often use watercolor, and this year I also experimented with NeoColors II (a gift). I often use stencils to add words or numbers, and this year I incorporated bits and pieces of found text and spent time tearing and gluing words from magazines. As the summer moved on, I grabbed white acrylic from time to time, experimented with one-staple collage, and brought more and more collage into the foundation of my pieces.
And then… I returned to my primary interest: black and white and ink and an overarching interest in creating and capturing a quiet moment.
I have a few cards from the summer that are incomplete and some that I don’t really like. But I also have many that I love.
Curious about how things mapped out, I made a list last night. I wish I could have fit all 61 on the same card, but that didn’t work, so my tracking chart spans 2 cards. Ultimately, there are other data points I would like to also chronicle and tally about this set of cards. I might do that digitally in a spreadsheet, a running archive that I can add to next year.
But last night I did a quick dive, a surface-level inventory of ICAD 2016. Negotiating the constraints of the card and unsure what categories I really wanted (something that became more clear after I started logging the full set!), I put in some primary categories and sat and went through the cards, noting in brief the prompt, what is on my card, and then things like: Did the card use the prompt? Is the card in color? Does the card feature a stuffed thing? Was this card whitewashed? Is there collage? Window? Chair?
As I logged the data, I realized there are some unfortunate gray areas in my columns, some areas of overlap… “color” was too vague… and “collage” was also too vague because gluing down a stamp and doing more extensive collage shouldn’t both count in the same column. I would also want to add a column for watercolor or NeoColor II, a column for fabric, and even a column for stamps. I also want to include the dozen or more cards I did before ICAD started and how they fit into the rubric because I think they are interesting in terms of how I approached the cards this summer. But for an initial look at use of the prompts (even if I am the only one who might see how the prompt informed the final card) and the sub-themes of stuffed things, windows, and chairs, this was an awesome look at the last two months.
If you are contemplating your own ICAD 2016, see Tammy’s 59 Days post.